Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Of Good Report and Praiseworthy

I am a reader. I always have been. I learned to read at the age of 4 when my mother was teaching my older sister to read. My mother always said that I taught myself to read, that I seemed to have an inner need for it. She told me that before I could read I would get very frustrated with things and even throw tantrums on occasion but afterward I calmed down. It was as if I found my purpose in life.
I regularly read several books a week until I became a college student and didn't have time for such things. It would seem a natural thing for me to be an English major but I wasn't. I have never liked picking a book to pieces and then writing an in-depth paper on it. I just want to be able to enjoy it.
After marriage and motherhood I found myself with time to read again while my little ones were napping or playing. I went through a phase when I read many of the classics. Reading in depth with young children around is hard. I'm not sure how much I got out of all those classic novels but I did read them! Count of Monte Cristo, Invisible Man, all of Jane Austen, and Les Miserables. Now and then I would make a foray into more modern novels, John Grisham and Tom Clancy for instance. So often when I would read I would be frustrated by the language and the adult scenes that I would have to put the book away. I wondered many times why there wasn't some sort of rating system or something to warn me before I got into a book that there was inappropriate material in it. Frustrated and busy with my life, I actually quit reading for several years. I have since asked family members and friends to recommend good books, clean books, that I could read and have started enjoying reading again. This blog is to share some of that with you. I plan on reviewing mostly popular adult fiction. There are other blogs that do a wonderful job with Young Adult fiction, although I will probably include some of those as well. I hope that those who read this will find it a worthy guide in their efforts to find reading material that is commendable and clean as well as entertaining.

No comments: