Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Monday, January 26, 2009

Arctic Drift by Clive Cussler

Publishers Weekly
Bestseller Cussler and son Dirk imagine the U.S. and Canada on the brink of war in their third collaborative Dirk Pitt novel (after Treasure of Khan and Black Wind). In 2011, as the price of gas hits $10 a gallon, President Garner Ward must contend with a corrupt Canadian cabal that's subverting efforts to solve America's energy problems. Pitt barely escapes serious injury when a bomb destroys a D.C. lab along with records of research into an artificial photosynthesis process that could, almost immediately, eliminate the threat of global warming. That discovery may be connected with a legendary failed 19th-century sailing expedition to the Arctic as well as a series of deaths due to the phenomena that the Native Americans of British Columbia know as "the Devil's Breath." The Cusslers won't suspend many readers' disbelief, but thriller fans in search of a quick, exciting read should be satisfied.


I had never ready any of Clive Cussler's books before and really didn't know what to expect. I had seen them, of course, but had the impression that they would be the sort of books that I wouldn't consider clean enough to read. How wrong I was! This book was extremely clean! The only thing that could be considered objectionable was the violence you would expect from an action novel. It really wasn't very graphic at all.

Arctic Drift is the 20th(!) book of Cussler's with Dirk Pitt as his main character. Apparently he has been writing these books since the early 1970's and has a large, faithful group of followers (http://www.cusslermen.com/) and avid collectors. I read over some of the reviews and am intrigued by the series as well as the author. He has done some very interesting things! I will probably read some more of his books when I have the time. I have to say that, although I enjoyed the book, I considered it rather lightweight and the characters two-dimensional. There were some reviews that said that they did not enjoy this one as much as his other books which made me even more interested in reading his books. I also thought that he was a bit heavy-handed with the environmental message. Having said that, I thought it was a fun, fast-paced, clean read! Rated PG for violence

No comments: