Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Divine Justice

Synopsis:
Known by his alias, "Oliver Stone," John Carr is the most wanted man in America. With two pulls of the trigger, the men who destroyed Stone's life and kept him in the shadows were finally silenced.
But his freedom comes at a steep price: The assassinations he carried out prompt the highest levels of the U.S. government to unleash a massive manhunt. Behind the scenes, master spy Macklin Hayes is playing a very personal game of cat and mouse. He, more than anyone, wants Stone dead.

With their friend and unofficial leader in hiding, the members of the Camel Club risk everything to save him. Now, as the hunters close in, Stone's flight from the demons of his past will take him from the power corridors of Washington, D.C., to the small, isolated coal-mining town of Divine, Virginia-and into a world every bit as lethal as the one he left behind.


I was a little leery about this book because of prior books I had read by David Baldacci, well mostly because of one prior book. Some of his books I have really enjoyed and would heartily recommend, but there was one, The Collectors, that turned me off to his books. The first one in the Camel Club series isn't too bad, lots of swear words as you would expect from this genre but not so bad as to completely turn me off from it but The Collectors was obscene. I didn't read the third but was told by a friend that it was worse than the second. Divine Justice is the fourth book in the series.
I was surprised that Divine Justice was much cleaner than The Collectors, possibly even cleaner than The Camel Club (the first book in the series) although it is no way a clean read. There are many swear words including one F word and there is a sex scene between an unmarried couple although it is handled fairly well, not too explicit. It is just so much better than what I had expected that I was quite surprised.
David Baldacci is one of the authors that made me want to do this blog. Two of his books, The Christmas Train and Wish You Well, are quite clean and are books that I recommend, it was that one book that frustrated me and put me off his books. He really is a good author, his stories, especially his action novels like The Camel Club series, are compelling stories. I really want to be able to read his books but that second book left me feeling so dirty and gross that I wasn't planning on reading his any more but because Divine Justice was on the bestseller list I decided I needed to give it a try.
Maybe if you read the first in the series, skip the 2nd and 3rd, you could read Divine Justice and not be too lost. You would have to find summaries for the 2nd and 3rd because one of the main characters is introduced in the 2nd. I was able to enjoy the book even though I haven't read the 3rd. So, all that said, I guess if you really like action novels, this is a good book even with its faults. I can't really recommend as a clean read but want to give you enough information that you all can at least make an informed decision about it. I would have to rate it R based on the one F word and the many other swear words as well as the sex scene and the violence that you would expect from an action novel.

No comments: