Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Friday Night Knitting Club




I picked this up because it was the book for the book club at our local library. It looked like it could be a good book, seemed to be the sort of thing that I would like to read, much of it was good. Unfortunately, there was enough language, including several F words to make this a rated R book. Even without that, I would still have a hard time recommending this book. I really don't understand all the hype about it.

It is about a group of women who come together on Friday nights for a knitting club in a knitting shop owned by the main character, Georgia Walker, who is a 30 something single mother of a 12 year old biracial daughter. The father of her daughter reappears after being completely uninvolved, making her life more complicated. The book details the lives of all the club members, showing their individual struggles and their collective support as part of the knitting club.

The characters consistently seemed to make poor moral choices in their lives, unwed mothers, affairs, etc. mostly done matter-of-factly as if there was nothing wrong with it. I did appreciate that the main character, a single mother, was shown to find single parenthood difficult and the father of her child did eventually get involved again after being absent for several years, another woman had a one night stand and suffered with guilt because of it but it still all sat wrong with me. Georgia, the main character, seems to do everything in her life without much thought or planning. Her pregnancy was unplanned and even the fact that she didn't go through with an abortion was because she couldn't decide whether or not to do it, not because of any connection to the fetus or any worthwhile reason, she just couldn't decide! Her business and the knitting club were also things that just kind of happened.

Another thing that bothered me was that there wasn't a single marriage portrayed that was working even somewhat well. One woman was a widow, another married but her husband lived across the country and the marriage suffered because of it, another marriage was cold and ended in divorce, the other women were all single-not one working marriage in the bunch. They all seemed to make such poor choices that I found it frustrating and it left me feeling like I couldn't wait to finish the book. I just didn't make an emotional connection to any of the characters in the book and actually I didn't read the whole thing, I skipped most of the last half of the book. It failed to keep my attention and I got tired of the bad language. Maybe I missed out on the best part of it, I don't know, but I was just ready to move on to something else.

3 comments:

Yahnira Backus a.k.a. "Mommy" said...

This is an awesome blog! I am always wondering what books to read and I hate wasting my time on books that are no uplifting or inspiring. Thanks for your help!! I will definitely pass it along to others.

Kimi said...

Thanks Yahnira. I appreciate any suggestions you have!

Irish said...

This was a book that I struggled with as well and didn't get all the hype about it ...