Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Charlemagne Pursuit by Steve Berry


Agent Cotton Malone is on quest to discover just what happened to his father 38 years earlier. Twins Dorothea and Christl are also trying to find out about their father who was on the same top secret submarine as Malone's father. Apparently, someone doesn't want them to know. Lots of fighting and intrigue, bringing in mysteries from Charlemagne's tomb and the Antarctic, the action goes from the Biltmore in NC, to Germany, to Antarctica.

This book reminded me of The Da Vinci Code. It is an historically-based thriller with strong characters caught up in a dangerous information-seeking quest. It was a good book and, for the genre, rather less obscene than others I have read. There were plenty of swear words, lots of killings, and the usual sleeping around but it didn't have any f-words and the sex scenes were not too graphic. I enjoyed all the history that played into the plot and especially appreciated the notes at the end by the author.


However, I was confused by the different plots going on in the book. They came together in the end but for much of the book the action is jerking back and forth between different characters. It just didn't read smoothly at all and I had a hard time really getting into the story-part of that may have been due to the fact that I rarely can read more than 10 minutes before getting interrupted. I really wanted to like this book. I liked all the historical references and even liked the main character but just couldn't get emotionally connected to what was going on. I probably will read some of his other books in hopes that I can get more caught up in them because I did like his writing style other than the abrupt changing from one plot line to the other. Rated PG-16 for violence, sex scenes, and swearing.





No comments: