Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Saturday, February 7, 2009

From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris

From Dead to Worse is the 8th book in Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series. I had never heard of the series before, never read any of the other books, and so was completely lost and confused when I started reading this book. (Actually that is often my state of being:) There are many references to the previous books, and plot details that don't make sense without having read the other books.
However, I won't be reading them.
The main character, Sookie Stackhouse, is a bartender who also is telepathic. She has become heavily involved with groups of vampires and werewolves, werepanthers, weretigers, and I'm not sure what else, living in Louisiana. These groups used to be secret but have recently "come out" to the human world and there are lots of conflicts and adjustments to be made by everyone, and of course, it is very messy.
The author has a very breezy, quick, rather choppy writing style that I really didn't care for too much. She also frequently talks about sex. There weren't any graphic sex scenes as far as I read but I only made it to page 147. She just talks about sex alot, or so it seemed to me. What made me quit reading the book was the profanity, specifically the f-word.
I researched the book a bit and she definitely has some diehard fans, although even some of those didn't particularly care for this book.
I thought that her idea of integrating the vampires, etc. into the human world was interesting and I could see how people could be fans of hers but I'm not one of them. Rated R for sex talk and profanity.

No comments: