Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski


I just finished reading this book and am still feeling surrounded by it. The ending is so impactful that I am having a hard time letting it go. This is the sort of book that stays with you for a long, long, time. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone by saying too much about it, but wow, this one is powerful.

Edgar Sawtelle is a teenage boy who is mute. His father and mother breed dogs, a special breed created by his grandfather, the Sawtelle dogs. After a tragedy in the family, Edgar runs away with a few of the dogs and ends up living in the wilderness with them.

I don't want to say any more than that about the plot.

It is a beautifully written book with lush descriptions that almost make me want to breed dogs, and I have resisted getting a dog for years! It reminded me very much of a Shakespearian tragedy, Hamlet or MacBeth, maybe. It is quite long, some of those descriptions could be edited although I loved them. No sex, some violence, a few obscenities including 4 f-words scattered through the 500+ pages. If not for those I would have considered it quite clean and compared to the previous post (Basketball Jones), it is quite clean. I think I need to make that one NC-17 and this one rated R for that word I cannot stand. They really don't belong in the same category.

No comments: