Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Friday, March 13, 2009

The Silent Man by Alex Berenson

There was a time when I loved this type of book. My husband and I devoured Tom Clancy's books as soon as we could get them and we really loved John Le Carre. I don't know if I am just tired of the genre, which is entirely possible, or if the problem lies with this book, but I had a hard time getting through it and just skimmed the last 100 pages.
I guess it would have been better if I had read the first two books in the series. Apparently the first book, The Faithful Spy, is excellent.
John Wells is a Jack Baueresque character who is out for revenge after he and his fiancee are attacked and his fiancee is seriously injured. His targets are terrorists who are also out for revenge for what has been done to their countries and families by Americans, or it could actually any country because they blame the Americans no matter who does it. It is very obvious that Berenson is a journalist for the New York Times. He has very liberal views.
Berenson is very good at ferreting out facts and minute details about nuclear warheads and many other things. There is a lot of detail in this book, mostly about things that I wasn't particularly wanting to know. (Wow, that sounds harsher than I meant it to be!) He actually is quite a good writer I just wasn't invested in either the characters or the story.
Other than a couple of f-words and a lot of violence and a little sex, this book was fairly clean. There were very few obscenities. The f-words and the violence make this rated R.

No comments: