Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Friday, April 3, 2009

Corsair by Clive Cussler and Jack Du Brul

Corsair is the latest installment of the Oregon Files series by Clive Cussler and Jack Du Brul. A corsair is a pirate or a pirate ship and so the novel begins with the early 1800's attack by a pirate ship which sets up the plot for the attack by a modern day pirate ship off the coast of Somalia on a ship known as the Oregon. At the same time, the plane carrying the Secretary of State crashes on the way to a conference in Libya, killing all aboard except for the Secretary, who mysteriously vanishes.
I'm having a hard time summarizing the plot any more than that. I found all the different plots and sub-plots to be somewhat confusing which was compounded by the fact that I haven't read any of the previous Oregon Files series. Or, it could just be that I am naturally confused by most things, I don't know. All the technical weaponry talk confused me as well, and so did the very long action sequences. This really wasn't my style of book although I did find it to be interesting when I understood what was going on. I think it really is more of a man's book and I realize that it is very sexist to say that and I do enjoy action novels sometimes but this just went over my head for a lot of it.
I do have to say that it was very clean except for the violence. Really very little swearing which is surprising for this type of novel and no sex, just violence which somehow doesn't bother me as much as the swearing and sex. I'm not sure why that is. If you like action novels or know someone who does, this would be a good book to read. I'm starting to realize that Clive Cussler keeps things clean. Thanks Clive! Rated PG-13 for the violence.

No comments: