Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Knockout by Catherine Coulter

Usually when I see that a book is labelled something like "FBI Thriller", I assume that there is going to be a lot of profanity and violence. I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of profanity in Knock Out! There was still a fair amount of violence but I found the book to be quite enjoyable and a very fast read.
I had always thought of Catherine Coulter as a romance novelist and was put off by the book covers. Just not my thing. But I was impressed by this book and need to rethink my opinion of her! This was not the typical thriller with the usual plot: bad guys do something bad, good guys chase bad guys and get into difficult situations then manage to get out somehow, good guys win. Okay, it did sort of go that way but there is a psychic twist, a paranormal element that was different and made the book more fun to read.
There were two plot lines throughout the book that intersect because Savich, an FBI agent, and Sherlock, his wife and partner, are involved in both. The action shifts from one set of bad guys to the other throughout the book but I didn't find it too distracting. The separate plots come together briefly at the end in an unusual way. There is a cute little girl with some amazing abilities involved, along with her mother and her creepy Uncle Blessed and quite a few other characters. The stories seemed a bit rushed at the end and there were some plot holes but not enough to keep me from enjoying the book.
The language was rather clean for a book labelled an FBI Thriller. There was one incident of fondling that was rather creepy by a character who talks about sex but nothing much other than that. There was a lot of violence and some of the descriptions were rather gruesome, enough that I would call this one PG-16.

No comments: