Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Christmas List by Richard Paul Evans

Christmas books!! Gotta love 'em!
I love Christmas books even when they are emotional and well, somewhat sappy. They still make you feel good.
My favorite Christmas story of all time (other than the REAL Christmas story) is A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. We have seen it performed live at least ten times and watch Scrooge with Albert Finney every year. My 8 year old daughter watched it a couple of weeks ago and now has us reading A Christmas Carol out loud to her. A classic even for an 8-year-old!
The Christmas List by Richard Paul Evans is based on A Christmas Carol. Evans writes a Christmas book just about every Christmas. I have read a few of them including last year's Grace which I didn't really care for it too much. This one I loved! It made me cry and seemed unbelievable at times but I still loved it.
James Kier is an alpha-male when it comes to business. He will win no matter the cost, and cost it has. His marriage, his relationship with his son, and many many friendships. He doesn't seem to care, and in fact seems completely heartless. He even served divorce papers to his wife on her first day of chemo. When his obituary is mistakenly published in the paper, James is forced to face up to what his life has been so far.
It doesn't seem possible that someone can change his life so completely based on one experience but as I thought about it, I remembered not only the story of Ebenezer Scrooge but examples from the scriptures when people did just that: experienced a complete change of heart.
I read this book very quickly. It is very short and easy to read AND you don't want to put it down once you start. Make sure you have nothing scheduled before you pick it up. Nothing particularly objectionable in it other than some people behaving like jerks. I would rate it PG for that bad behavior.

No comments: