Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

I listened to this book on my mp3 while I did my housework and made dinner so I didn't get the full impact of the book that I would have had I read it. When it comes out in paperback we will buy although now that I know what happens, it won't be the same.
In this book, Robert Langdon, Harvard professor, is called to Washington, DC to lecture as a last minute substitute as a favor to his friend Peter Solomon. When he arrives in DC, he finds that he has been tricked and that his friend Peter, and Peter's attractive sister Katherine, are in grave danger is Langdon can't solve the mysteries surrounding Freemasonry.
I thought that, although the book definitely has its faults, it was fascinating especially with all the details about many national monuments and famous buildings. I was completely unsure about what was factual and what wasn't but apparently much of it is true, both about the symbols placed in the buildings and about the masons. Here is a link to a Discovery Channel program about the book: http://www.nypost.com/t/Discovery_Channel
The action was non-stop with tons of twists and turns and unexpected surprises that come out of nowhere. My only criticism of the book is that the main characters don't seem quite human in both their ability to crack codes at the speed of lightening and to recover quickly from traumatic events. What I really liked was that the book was well-researched and is sure to bring up many interesting discussions.
The book wasn't too bad as far as language goes. I don't remember hearing any f-words. And there wasn't any sex. There was violence and I found the scene where Mah'lak (the villain) describes his self-mutilation rather distasteful. This is definitely an adult book but not quite a rated-R book. Rated PG-16.

No comments: