Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Thursday, October 1, 2009

That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo

I was really looking forward to reading this book. It didn't take long to realize that I really didn't want to read much of it.
Griffin had spent the happiest times of his childhood vacationing on the Cape, as Cape Cod is often known as if it is the only one. One of our favorite vacations was in Chatham so I understand the attraction. Griffin's parents had graduated from Yale and Cornell and expected to be offered positions at at least one of the ivy league schools but ended up in the Midwest, which they always referred to in a profane way (and is referred to in the book in the same way, every time). Their disappointment in their careers and their marriage was only ameliorated by their vacations on the Cape. Eventually it wasn't enough and they divorced, of course the serial affairs by each didn't help. Ugh, I'm having a hard time even writing this review. Even without the obscenities I don't think I could have finished the book. I didn't like anyone in it. Rated R for language and whatever else I was grateful not to read.

No comments: