Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

I listened to Audrey Niffenegger's first book, The Time Traveller's Wife, for awhile and then had to quit listening because the language was just too profane. I hoped that this book would be cleaner and it was. There were only 3 f-words versus who knows how many in her first book. There was a little bit of sexual content too but not too bad. Too bad I didn't like the book. I liked the first 2/3rd's of it but the last 1/3rd really upset me. I mean, I hated the ending and was really mad about it. I felt like throwing the book across the room but it was a library book so I refrained myself.

Elspeth and Edie are twins who haven't seen each other in 20 years. Elspeth is in London, has a much younger lover, and is dying. Edie is in Chicago and lives with her husband and 20-year-old twins named Julia and Valentina. When Elspeth dies, she leaves her entire estate to the twins, Julia and Valentina, with the stipulation that they live in her London flat for a full year after they turn 21 and their parents aren't allowed to enter the flat. The neighbors consist of Elspeth's former boyfriend Robert who works in the cemetery next door, and Martin, a man whose wife has left him because of his extreme OCD. Julia is headstrong and bossy, Valentina is shy and retiring, but they are inseparable to the point of rarely ever being apart. Elspeth, despite being dead, can't quite leave them alone. Valentina has grown tired of Julia's bossy ways and would like to strike out on her own but Julia won't stand for it. Valentina devises a drastic method of getting her way.
If you decide you want to read this, be aware that there are those f-words and the little bit of sexual conduct, but also be prepared for what I thought was a terrible ending. Rated R.

No comments: