Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ford County by John Grisham


I didn't realize at first that this was a collection of short stories. I am used to reading John Grisham's lawyer-related books that involve lots of action, etc. but this was something new, a little more slow-paced, a little less legal drama. I happened to listen to the audio book which was read by the author. I thought that was great for about the first 30 seconds and then it became very irritating. He reads slowly and e-nun-ci-ates every word with little inflection, yikes it was tough to listen to! At first I didn't really care for it, probably because I was listening to it, but after awhile the stories started to grow on me. I think I liked the last one the best. It's about a young man who is gay and gets AIDS. It's set in small-town Mississippi (just like the other stories) in the late 1980's when the AIDS crises had everyone worried about catching it and there was lots of prejudice. His wealthy family hires an elderly African-American woman to care for him, using the future ownership of her rental home as incentive. I found it a very interesting examination of different types of prejudice. The language wasn't too bad, some stories worse than others and the scene at the strip club was a little cringe-worthy but all things considered, it wasn't too bad. I rate it PG-16 for some language and adult situations.

No comments: