Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

My 11 year old son brought this home from school one day and read it in a day or two. I had heard that it was good but knew nothing about it so I borrowed it and read it, stopping only when I absolutely had to. If I had read it first I'm not sure I would have let him read it. There is some rather disturbing violence in it and I think it should be only for teenagers and older and only if the teens can handle the violence. I asked him about it and he didn't seem to think that it was too bad. Hmmm, not sure how I feel about that! He has shown a lot of interest in this blog and so I asked if he wanted to review it for me.


My son's take on the book:
This was an enjoyable experiance. I recommended this to about everyone. If mom said that I shouldn't have read this, who know's what I probably shouldn't have read before! I'd still call it pg-13, but I didn't take it as seriously as I would have with a movie. This is a popular book, and it's a New York TImes bestseller, so if you're reading this, go and get the book! P.S. I read the sequel. It's just as good, but it has a little more drama and a little less of violence. But it still has a good amount of violence, and the last book has plenty or dramatic sequences. P.S.S. My mom did not write or edit this.


Okay, as you can tell I really didn't write or edit his comments and apparently I need to be more aware of what he is reading. I have made the assumption that if it looks like a young adult novel, it must be okay but I need to be better about screening them I guess. The tough thing is that he flies through books faster than I can and a book that he checks out at school can be read before I even know he has it. Does anyone else have this problem?
He is right though, it is a really good book! It takes place in the future when the United States is no longer and the new country of Panem consists of the Capitol plus 13 districts, one of which has been destroyed. Many years before the districts had banded together to try to liberate themselves from the Capitol's oppressive regime. They were defeated and as punishment the Hunger Games were implemented. Each district has to send a boy and a girl who are between the ages of 12 and 18 for an annual televised event in which they must fight each other to the death. Like I said, it's pretty violent. I would rate this PG-13 with a caution for more sensitive teens.

No comments: