Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler

It has been a long time since I have read an Anne Tyler book. I don't remember much about the other books by her that I read other than they all seem to be set in Baltimore and that she likes to write about quirky characters. I wasn't sure what to expect from Noah's Compass but I did expect more than I got. The main character, Liam Pennywell, just seemed to float along with life, never really living, never really emotionally invested in anything or anyone, including himself. The book starts with Liam losing his job teaching 5th grade boys at a private school. He moves out of his apartment into a smaller, drearier one and gets assaulted his first night there. Nothing much comes of the assault. Noah doesn't remember it and it doesn't seem to affect him much. He goes along and things happen in the book but they never seem to lead to anything. He ends up not really changing at all from the beginning of the book. I'm really not sure why she wrote it. I can't say I really hated the book but I didn't like it either. I'll probably forget about it pretty quickly. There wasn't much to complain about as far as profanity or anything offensive goes. I guess I'd rate it PG for the few adult situations.

1 comment:

Gerbera Daisy Mom said...

For such a prolific writer, I've only read one of hers - Back When We Were Grownups -- and I hated it! It was a book about absolutely nothing.

http://gerberadaisydiaries.blogspot.com/2009/06/book-review_19.html