Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Ethan Wate is tired of living in his small southern town where nothing exciting ever happens and everyone is completely predictable. Ever since his mother died, his father has closeted himself in his study working on his book. He rarely even gets dressed and never seems to notice Ethan. Only Amma, the housekeeper, is around to keep Ethan going. He is on the basketball team and is rather popular at school but life is pretty boring for Ethan. Then Lena Duchennes moves in with her mysterious uncle and Ethan's life changes completely. Lena isn't like any of the other girls in town which is fine with Ethan but not with anyone else. He spends more and more time with her and consequently is shunned by classmates except for his best friend. The more Ethan finds out about Lena and her family, and Amma, the more he realizes how many secrets and how little he really knew about his hometown.
I enjoyed the book but not as much as I thought I would with all the rave reviews it got. It was a good story that almost but didn't quite gel for me and the ending left quite a few things hanging which really bothered me until I found out that there will be a sequel to it, due out in October. I plan on reading the sequel but am not pining for it like I am for the 3rd Hunger Games book.
There was a little language and violence but it's perfectly fine for teens to read. PG-13

No comments: