Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The God of the Hive: a novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes by Laurie R. King

Someday I want to have the time to go back and read all of Laurie R. King's series about Sherlock Holmes and his much younger wife Mary Russell. This is the second one in the series that I have read and I really enjoyed it, even more than the one I read last time. (See review about The Language of Bees.)

I would suggest that you start at the beginning of the series which is The Beekeeper's Apprentice. Otherwise, at least read The Language of Bees first since The God of the Hive is a continuation of that one.

Some people think that it is akin to sacrilege to write about Sherlock Holmes and I thought at first that it was a cheap trick, until I read the books. I feel that she has written a couple of intelligent and entertaining books and would expect them to be on par with the earlier novels in the series. These books are entertaining without being fluff. I had to keep a dictionary on hand to look up unfamiliar words but there weren't so many that it became obnoxious. There was very little profanity or anything else particularly objectionable in the book. There was some violence with a couple of people being killed but, all-in-all, it was quite clean as well as well-written. Rated PG for the violence.

No comments: