Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman

Alice Hoffman's latest book is a chronological series of short stories centered on the founding families and their descendents.  Ms. Hoffman's writing is very readable and engaging but I didn't care for the short story format.  The stories didn't seem complete enough to me, but then I really like completeness and can't stand things to be left hanging.  The stories have a bit of magic or other-worldliness to them which I did like although the concept of the red garden wasn't as fully fleshed-out and I would like. 
My main problem with the book was the language and sex in it.  The sex was found throughout the book but the language got worse as the stories got closer to modern day.  There were several incidences of strong language, mostly towards the end of the book.  Rated R.

No comments: