Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm

Turtle (I don't remember them ever saying her real name) has been sent to live with her mother's sister in Key West Florida because her mother's employer doesn't allow children.  Turtle's mother works as a housekeeper and it is the middle of the Great Depression.  She can't be too particular, she's just happy to have a job.  One of her mother's "friends", all of whom are male and kind of shady offers to take Turtle and so off she goes to meet many relatives, most of whom she had no idea existed.  Lonely Turtle who doesn't like children discovers that she has several cousins.  She learns how to be part of a family and along the way, learns many new things about the culture in Key West and has some pretty exciting adventures.  Look for an appearance by Ernest Hemingway (some of the things in this children's book, like children's movies, are things only adults will get).  Rated PG for some situations (Turtle's mother had her out of wedlock, there is some fighting, etc.)

3 comments:

Melissa Mc (Gerbera Daisy Diaries) said...

We bought this at our last school book fair...

Jen said...

Awesome blog! I am your newest follower! Feel free to check me out: http://cleanromancereviews.blogspot.com

I'd love to add you to my blog roll and feel free to do the same (if you want)!

Kimi said...

Hi Jen, Thanks! I took a peek at your blog too, very nice! I would be happy to add you to my blog roll.