Pageshttp://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=8529290541408034723&action=editWidget&sectionId=sideba

Friday, June 10, 2011

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult

In the past I have read several of Jodi Picoult's books, wincing all the while at the language but feeling compelled to finish because her stories have so much power and depth to them.  I can't say that about this novel of an infertile woman who goes to great lengths to have a child to the detriment of her marriage.  The story wasn't compelling enough to overcome the wincing.  Actually, I take that back.  The bare-bones story was something that could be discussed and hashed-out and argued-over, the problem for me was that the characters were so obviously "good" or "evil".
The woman, Zoe, tried for 10 years to have a child.  Max, her ex-husband, eventually couldn't take the stress of it and left her, finding comfort once again in alcohol until his born-again brother convinced him to listen to his pastor.  The pastor happened to be a notorious anti-gay preacher.  Zoe, after Max leaves, falls apart for awhile but soon meets, and falls in love with, Vanessa.  They all end up fighting over custody of the embryos left over from Zoe's in vitro attempts.
So, on one side we have likeable lesbians who just want to have a child, on the other are the evil religious zealots who want to deny them their rights.  It was much too obvious how Picoult felt about it all.  Throw in a bunch of f-words and some sex scenes that made me squirm and that was all I could take.  I just skimmed through the rest of the book and right now I'm not so sure I would read another of hers.
Rated R for language.

No comments: